Sunday, May 31, 2009

writer's block

I have not been posting lately because I have been kind of working on an article for a magazine produced at my church. I say kind of working because all that I have really been doing is fighting writer's block. This typically happens to me when I do not have a precise set of parameters in my mind as far as what the final result should really look like.

This past semester I poured hours and hours of work into a paper for one of my classes, far more than I should have, because I was not convinced that I was following the construct that the professor wanted. In that class everyone got to see everyone else's paper, so when I looked through everyone else's work I noticed that I had written more than one thousand words more than the next largest paper, and I did not accomplish that by filling the paper with fluff. There was no maximum page limit on the papers and so I overcompensated to be sure I was doing the right thing. Looking through some of the other papers, it appears that most other people had a different approach.

With this article I am not completely certain how casual or spiritual it is supposed to be. My natural inclination is to type a step-by-step lesson, but that does not feel exactly right for this magazine. At the very least, this is not something that I expect to be obsessing about too much longer. My article is due on the third, and I think I have actually settled on a topic. Finally.

2 comments:

sam said...

Really, all you need to do is copy and paste one of your older post and that would be perfect for the magazine.

shakedust said...

I looked through the old ones, but nothing really fit the bill. The problem is that I don't necessarily consider most of my blog writing to be mass-market enough to fit into this sort of situation. Regardless, I have already submitted something that I think works. I'll probably post it here once it is published in the magazine.

From the start, the issue has never really been the ability to come up with content rather than the ability to know exactly what type of content matches the medium I am working with.