Wednesday, May 20, 2009

past performance

As part of the process of setting up my laptop I have reorganized many of the documents on our main computer so that I can properly copy what I need onto the laptop. While I was going through the documents I came across some folders containing homework and various papers that I wrote for some of my undergrad courses. Looking back on that work now, it is amazing to me how much time I spent on such a small amount of work and how mediocre my writing was.

I remember well the very first paper I had to write when I was in school. The paper was a simple four-page research paper on a composer. I remember spending way more time than I should have for a four-page paper, and looking back on the paper, it is a little embarrassing the level of effort it required for as lousy as the final result was. My papers from when I was a senior were better, but that is not saying much.

The one good thing about all of this is that I know that I am still learning years after graduating, and I know I still have a way to go. My question to everyone else is, how do you feel you are growing as a person. Are there areas in your life where you look back at where you were five, ten, or twenty years ago and see that where you were and where you are are completely different?

No comments: