Friday, March 06, 2009

frozen peas

I have debated whether to discuss today's topic at all because some people may be a bit uncomfortable with it. The option I have chosen is to discuss it delicately here and not mention it at all on Facebook. If the topic bothers you, just stop reading.

Today, I went to the doctor to take steps to not have any more kids. I figure most people can figure out what that means. A few things about the visit stick out.

First, there were a couple of guys in the office who had apparently ridden there together with the intention to have their procedures done at the same time. One guy was called, then the next was, then the first one came back to the waiting room when he was done and waited for the other. I think that I would sooner do this alone than with a friend.

Second, the doctor's office was way behind schedule today. When I was called from the waiting room the individual who took me to the room where the procedure would be performed apologized and made a comment implying that one of the procedures earlier in the morning had some complications. Had I been nervous about my procedure this would have probably disarmed me. It really didn't register high on my radar, though.

Next, the procedure was a bit more painful than I expected, but it was much shorter and the recovery has been much better than I expected. I'll leave it at that.

Also, I determined today that pretty much my entire sense of modesty is culturally derived. I expected to be more uncomfortable with the level of exposure the procedure involves. I really wasn't. That probably sounds more disturbing than it needs to sound. I don't intend to become an exhibitionist any time soon.

Finally, the doctor recommended using an ice pack for a day, but Dash has noted many times that frozen peas are effective. I am thankful for this advice. I don't know if I will be psychologically able to force myself to eat peas for a few weeks now, but they work for this tertiary purpose.

8 comments:

Dash said...

Sorry to hear that it was rougher than you expected. I'm not sure how I would have reacted to hearing about "complications" in someone else's procedure.

As I mentioned in my earlier email ... I'll have seom pea salad in your honor for lunch.

shakedust said...

Thanks for the honor. :)

Later in the day on Friday I used one of my bags of frozen peas too long and it leaked on my pants. I pointed out to Golden that in this case, I really did pea my pants. At least I thought it was funny.

Anonymous said...

Jerk Blurker says: If that's the tertiary purpose of peas, what's their secondary purpose?

T said...

Dare I comment? :) kudos for steppin' up and taking care of business! btw, the "I peaed my pants" statement definately made me laugh!

shakedust said...

JB:

1. Eating
2. Laughing at
3. Using as an ice pack for important areas of the body.

:)

Anonymous said...

You are a brave man! Where you able to milk it all weekend and watch a ton of movies?

shakedust said...

I actually didn't watch too many movies, but I did watch a lot of the web series "Red vs. Blue," and I stayed off my feet so I did kind of milk it.

T said...

Congrats on so many comments! No one comments to the blogs like that anymore.