Monday, January 14, 2019

crooked, or all in my mind?

Last week I saw a guy with a level making marks on the glass door in front of another office on our floor at work.  He was talking to someone else about how he hoped it turned out okay.  Later, either the that day or the next, I noticed the name of a small tax accounting firm on the door.  What jumps out is that I think it's crooked, but it may also be something that's in my head.

What I find odd is that when I look at the words on the door they look level in absolute terms.  Each letter looks the same distance from the top or bottom of the door.  However, the text immediately gives me the impression that one side is higher than the other.  I wouldn't bet money that the text is truly not level, but I can't look at it without that being my first reaction.

I'm thrown off by the fact that the door faces the hallway at an angle, and with it being glass it could be that objects behind the text in the office behind it give the illusion of the text being crooked when it is actually straight.  Is that a thing?

I feel bad that this is what I think every single time I see that door.  The job was either almost perfect, or it was perfect while being undone by an optical illusion.  However, all I can see is what looks like a flaw.

All of this is to say, I don't think I could take the stress of having a job where I place words on glass.  I'd never think my work looked right.

No comments: