Thursday, March 10, 2016

multi-factor issues

People are naturally wired to be lazy in many ways, and one of those ways has piqued my interest recently.  People like to find a singular cause for issues.  As a result, most people aren't wired to address complex issues, and have to fight their wiring to do so.

As an example, when the crime rate rises or falls in a region there is rarely one factor in play.  Policing, the justice system, the socioeconomic situation, etc all play a role, and people are prone to pick their favorite factor as the be-all, end-all reason for the good or the bad things they see on the streets and the news.  All may be factors, but it is unlikely that one is the primary factor that dwarfs all others.

I say this because I see the same tendency in myself.  When I see something broken I want to identify the issue and move toward a fix as closely as possible.  If I can identify an issue I want it to be the issue so that I can pin all of the problems I see on that one blamable and ultimately fixable thing.  I don't want to research more once one factor has been identified, because it's not in my nature to look for a second factor.  That approach leads to incomplete fixes, though.

I don't have much more to add on this.  This is just something I've been observing.

No comments: