Thursday, July 16, 2009

a silent living room

I am currently typing this on my laptop from a silent and dark living room. This is because a few months ago NJ decided that he wanted to sleep in the living room. At first we resisted this, but we decided that it was better to let him sleep on the couch than have him wake up crying in the middle of the night and waking up CD. It was a question of picking our battles.

As a consequence of NJ being on the couch throughout the evening, this is the first time in my life that I have watched more television on my a computer than on the TV. Golden and I had one guilty pleasure show for the summer, Here Come the Newlyweds, which just so happened to be posted online on a weekly basis. Golden has one or two other shows she catches online, and I have been watching episodes of the old series Sliders online since I didn't catch it when it was actually broadcast.

Since television has always had a significant role in my routine, it is a little odd for the TV to be off so much. It doesn't feel instinctive to turn on the television any more. It even feels a bit like a special occasion as of late to turn on the TV and flip the channel to something that is not produced for preschoolers.

Like everything, this is just a phase and before long I expect to be back to watching the television regularly again. I expect that the meantime will continue to feel surreal as I sit in the dark, however.

1 comment:

T said...

Oh for the days when we had to worry about waking the little ones!