Thursday, February 27, 2014

on the board

While I have been nominated for our church board a few times, this year was the first one that I both let my name run and expected there to be a chance I would get the position.  Indeed, this year I was confirmed as a board member.

I have not commented on the nomination or election on Facebook because I'm friended with half of the church, and with all of the other people who were nominated.  I am bringing up some thoughts here because this seems a more appropriate forum.  I don't have anything to say that it would be wrong for anyone specific to read, but I am more comfortable opening up on some thoughts here.

In some past years I may have had some pride issues regarding the idea that I would be nominated.  That is a dangerous place to be, both because Scripture warns against conceit in church leadership (1 Tim 3:6) and because it obscures the real responsibility of the job.  While it is dangerous to ever say that there is a sin that I don't struggle with, this year pride about being nominated or elected was not much of an issue for me.

My big issue this year has been a bit of trepidation at the responsibility.  I am very concerned with the expectations of the individuals who were strongly behind my getting elected.  If I am to fulfill the role properly I will probably do things in disagreement with their desires many times throughout my term.  I do not know if those who voted for me realize this, but I'm the risky vote.  I'm the one who will probably shake the boat if I feel something is important, and I am probably going to take the minority position in a lot of situations.  Though I am a troublemaker in this respect, I also detest having to argue, so I hope those situations are few and far between because every one of them will be an internal battle for me.

One thing that I can promise is that I will serve attentive to the guidance of Scripture at all times.  I just hope that how I see Scripture and how I understand church responsibilities is how God sees things and how the rest of the members of the church see things.

1 comment:

T said...

I have no doubt that you will do a great job in this role. Like you said, just keep an open mind and heart towards scripture and let God lead you.