Saturday, November 09, 2013

pumpkin season

Photo by: Danielle Scott
One of the primary seasonal flavors of October and November is pumpkin.  Not only do pumpkin pies appear, but everything from ice cream to bread to coffee is sold with pumpkin flavoring.

I wouldn't say I don't like pumpkin and the things made from pumpkins.  I actually do.  For example, a properly made pumpkin pie can be quite good.  I would say that I have never had anything with pumpkin flavoring that wouldn't taste better with a more traditional and less seasonal flavoring, though.

For example, I think pumpkin bread is perfectly fine.  I'd actually prefer banana bread or zucchini bread, though.  Note that this comes from someone who does not like bananas or zucchinis.  Pumpkin flavored ice cream is okay, but even in autumn I'd prefer vanilla.  I can definitely enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie, but I like most other types of pie far better with a few very specific exceptions.  Give me apple, cherry, or blueberry over pumpkin any day.

I understand that a big part of the appeal is the same sort of appeal that certain foods have at Christmas time.  It's not necessarily the flavor that is desirable, but rather the atmosphere that it creates.  It's a way for a person to get their mind into the season, and it can be more pleasurable for the person who loves autumn.  Even so, I'm always a little perplexed with the excitement that pumpkin flavored things garners with a lot of people.  Pumpkin just isn't a flavor I can get excited about.

So, I'm interested.  Do your tastes align with mine, or do you get excited about pumpkin season?  If you get excited about pumpkin season is it more about the flavor or about the season itself?

No comments: