Thursday, January 10, 2013

a-little-too-late ads

I recently purchased some wireless headphones to use with our upstairs television with some Amazon gift cards I received for Christmas.  They are working out well for their purpose, so that means that I will not need to look for wireless headphones for a while.  Don't tell Amazon that, though, because now I see ads for headphones when I am on Amazon.

This is not the first time I started getting ads for a product specifically after I purchased that product.  The same thing happened after I purchased a Roku this summer.  For a while after I made the purchase a huge percentage of the ads I saw was for a Roku.  I must have done a Google search for Roku or something like that to get those ads.

It always feels like those ads are going to waste.  It should not matter to me since it is money that I am not going to spend, and I am not funding the advertising campaign anyway, but I do not like waste.

Have you noticed the same thing with any of the bigger ticket items that things that you purchased recently?  Do you see ads for products that you purchased recently, so you will not be in the market for that item for a while?

2 comments:

Jason said...

Yeah, that happens for me too. But what's more annoying to me is when I buy a gift for someone else, and it's something I would never want. But then Amazon keeps suggesting other things I might want based on that. They are things that are very similar to the item. I have zero interest in them, because I didn't want the first thing; I just bought it for someone else. I guess they can't know I bought it as a gift, unless maybe if I checked the "gift wrap it for me" box, which I usually don't. Even then, I bet their algorithm isn't looking for that.

shakedust said...

That happens to me a lot as well. There is usually a "Why was this recommended" link by the item that you can use to check whether it was a present, but it should be obvious that if I bought it off someone's gift wish list that it was a present.