Saturday, September 08, 2012

office people watching

This is about people watching from my office rather than other people in my office.

The office I had for a year-and-a-half overlooked a major road with a sidewalk that hosted a few pedestrians.  Most were normal and boring, but on occasion I'd see someone abnormal or entertaining.  A lot of what was entertaining was trying to figure out the back story for what was going on.  There is a residential area across the street, and some businesses along there too, but for various reasons it's not really a place where it makes sense to walk from one place to another.

While there were quite a few joggers, there was once a woman who, instead of jogging, did some sort of stretch-as-far-as-you-can-every-step walk for about a city block down the sidewalk.  Once, I saw a woman jogging with a man right behind her who was not subtle about the fact that he was checking her out the entire time.  Another time someone walked down the sidewalk in a full business suit pulling a small suitcase on wheels for the entire distance of the road that I could see from my office, which made little sense to me because he was on the residential side of the street rather than the office park.  One group of people that always piqued my interest was gaggle of four people (two men and two women) who I frequently saw walking one direction or the other in full business wear in mid-afternoon in no particular hurry.

My office has moved to a different side of the building as of the last month or two, so the people watching has had a different flavor.  I now overlook a parking lot facing the main entrance to the building, so I get some entertainment noticing the different expressions, gaits, and other nuances that people have going into the office versus leaving the office.  Most people have a more serious and determined (and often hurried) presence about them coming in compared to going out.

Probably the most entertaining thing I have seen so far happened on a morning a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed one specific middle-aged woman furiously spraying something on her clothes and in her vehicle before what I assume was her coming into work.  I wrote it off as her trying to get rid of cigarette smoke odor, and I was probably right.  However, as she got out of her vehicle she lit up a[nother] cigarette.  Why light up after spraying yourself with perfume or air freshener (or whatever it was) rather than before?  So perplexing!  I'll have to see if she does it again in the future.

1 comment:

roamingwriter said...

I love people watching and seeing what people do when they think no one is looking. Or better yet, who are the people doing something odd (long stretch walking in front of an office building) knowing people are looking and they do it anyway. So interesting.