Friday, May 04, 2012

boundaries

I frankly don't know precisely where boundaries should be drawn in my life.  I never have.  In college I became overly active in classwork, student government, work, and maintaining a relationship with Golden and nearly burned out mid-way through my third semester.  A few times in my adult life I have swung the opposite direction and purposefully shut down nearly all offers for social activities beyond what was absolutely necessary.

I'm somehow guarded and over-sharing at the same time in my friendships.  In my close relationships I don't usually know what reasonable and unreasonable expectations are.  Do I expect too much or too little?  Do I sacrifice too much or too little?  Again, I think it's paradoxically both, but I usually cannot identify the specifics of what needs to change.

In social situations I frequently miss social cues, though I also notice people who miss them much more than I do.  Some people seem to be able to feel out others in a way that I can only dream.  Other people seem to miss what I think are obvious signs that whatever they are doing violates whatever the local social mores are.

The thing is, the more I think about this, the more I think this describes most people.  There is definitely a small group of people who seem to get where all of the social and personal boundaries are or should be, and there is a small group of  people who have no clue.  In the middle, though, I think everyone relies on others' reactions to figure out the grey areas.  What happens, though, when the people we use for reference have it wrong?

2 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I think I get the social boundaries a lot, sometimes I have a sneaky sense that I want to jump around the boundaries or point them out loudly -- which I know would be awkward, but it might be funny too. Not always of course, but on occasion. Dar likes to say I jump across the line.

Jason said...

I think those of us in the middle group usually realize we're in the middle group. And because of that, we're probably somwehat cautious of the references. We have to trust them to some degree, but we know not to take any given one as a guarantee to be correct in that situation, because we know our own ability to ascertain the validity of their reaction is flawed, which is what makes us middle group-ers. So if someone we use for a reference has it wrong, we're probably not in too bad of shape, because we knew not to put too much on the line in the first place based on that reference.