Tuesday, April 17, 2012

demonization and favoritism

Something that perplexes me is the human drive to like and rationalize for those who we agree with and to demonize those we do not.  I am not pointing to any one group of people in particular.  In fact, what surprises me is how universal this appears to be.  I am also shocked at how on guard I have to be to keep from doing it myself.

This is probably the most pronounced in politics, but it also shows up in most other areas of life like religion and fandom.  Rather than accept that all humans are flawed and endowed with some redeemable traits, no matter their particular opinions, it is easier to see only the bad in those with whom I disagree and the good in those with whom I agree.

I cannot emphasize enough how amazed I am at how easy it is to slip into the line of thinking, "Of course that politician had shady dealings.  Have you seen his policy positions that completely contradict mine?"  It is also easy to think regarding my teams, "Ref, are you blind calling that unnecessary roughness?  That was a perfectly legal hit by the player on the football team I am pulling for.  I'd bet he volunteers his time and resources to his community, and saves people from burning buildings in his spare timethe saint!"  All of this is as if someone's position on the ideal tax system or role in a team from Detroit has anything to do with the quality of their character.

This sort of philosophical favoritism, giving some people unwarranted hate and others unwarranted admiration, is obviously not what God called us to.  I am not convinced that this is the sort of thing that most Christians are aware they need to give over to God, though.  Even though we all know that anything short of love for our neighbors is sin and we know that favoritism has been forbidden, do we (and I am certainly asking this about myself) really believe it?  Does this sort of thing truly make the cut of things we really think of as falling short of God's glory?

I am as in need of as much assistance in countering this flaw in my thinking on this as anyone else.  That is the point, though.  We all have natures so horribly flawed that we cannot on our own obey a simple command like, "Love your enemies..." (Matt 5:44).  This, even when the only thing that makes them an enemy is a difference of opinion about something relatively minor when considered in the grand scheme of things.

Disagree with me on this if you must.  Just understand it means that you must be a bad person.

1 comment:

roamingwriter said...

Thisis something I can say I was clueless about until later in life, and now it is the thing that upsets me the most in Christians. Yet i know they or woever holds a strong opinion believe themselves correct. It makes me sad. I have a friend who is making a documentary on this theme.