Friday, October 21, 2011

politics: chosen

I am pretty sure that this is the last in my current political series. Maybe I'll hit on a lighter topic shortly.

I have already quoted from this passage twice in the last few posts, but that is only because it is such a relevant, yet under-appreciated, piece of Scripture. I have bolded the relevant points for this post.
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."- Romans 13:1-7
A few years ago I saw an online poll that asked whether Jesus would have been a Republican or a Democrat. While the question itself seems ludicrous to me since Jesus went out of his way to avoid the politics of His day (Matt 17:24-27, Luke 20:20-26), it eventually got me thinking along a broader point that God does technically vote in elections, coups, rebellions, puppet governments, and every other process that brings people to power. Any time I stop to contemplate that I am astounded.

Depending on your politics, it may be difficult to imagine that God technically voted for George W. Bush or Barack Obama. I do not really have any ill will toward either of them, but if I did I would have to acknowledge that it was God who put both into their respective positions of power. This passage is far more challenging when I consider that is means that in the last century God also cast a vote for Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, and innumerable other despots. Paul certainly knew that he was saying that God put objectively evil people in power, as it is likely that Paul wrote his letter to the Roman Christians in the early years of Nero's reign, and only about a decade-and-a-half after Caligula's reign. This was not Camelot.

This is not to say that the people God has chosen are blessed people because of it. In the Old Testament God used pagan rulers to punish Israel and Judah, then He punished those same rulers for their violence and sin. Even the people who God used who trusted Him were typically horribly flawed, and frequently paid for their sins (Samson, Jephthah, David, et al).

While I do not like the idea that people who I personally believe were bad rulers were put into position by God, I can accept that this is because God ultimately orchestrates things in the way that is most likely to draw people to Him. I do not say this lightly. Horrific things happen in many of these administrations implemented by God—things much worse than my Western mind can even imagine. I am sure if I were to witness some of those atrocities, I would strongly question God's wisdom or care. If I am to accept Scripture, though, I have to accept God's control of who is in power in the world as a hard truth.

So, what does this all mean? What is the respect and honor that we owe to government leaders with whom we disagree? How can we even know what is owed? Are dissenting opinions wrong? Does this mean that any form of protest is wrong? Should political satire be off-limits? I personally believe the answer to this is in the following passage from Titus.
"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men. At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy."- Titus 3:1-5a
Apart from the fact that God established the authorities that exist, the main reason we are to act with respect toward the governing authorities is that disrespect is a symptom of the former life. It is more consistent with foolishness, disobedience, and slavery to passions than it is to consideration and humility. I therefore believe that the Biblical line for respecting authorities is the point at which we become disobedient, slanderous, divisive, inconsiderate, or prideful. That sounds like a low bar, but my observation is that it is a very difficult standard for anyone with strong political opinions or for anyone who wants to fit in with a group of people who have strong political opinions.

Can I hold a strong political opinion without being disobedient, slanderous, divisive, inconsiderate, or prideful? Probably, but I have to be on guard. Can I have a political debate with friends or acquaintances without being disobedient, slanderous, divisive, inconsiderate, or prideful? That is more difficult, but probably not impossible. Can I join a peaceful political protest without being disobedient, slanderous, divisive, inconsiderate, or prideful? This is pushing the envelope, but could conceivably be okay. Obviously, this is a subjective standard, but it does function as a Scriptural red flag.

I think the real danger here is to underestimate what counts as disobedient, slanderous, divisive, inconsiderate, or prideful. Political name-calling, while appearing to be merely immature, is inconsiderate and prideful. Assuming the worst about those we disagree with and allowing that to color our political conversations, while appearing to be merely strong-minded or informed, is slanderous and divisive. Violating laws in passive ways through civil disobedience, while appearing to be selflessly pushing forward a cause, is still disobedient.

This is not to say that I have achieved the level that Paul commanded. It is simply something that I must continually strive for.

No comments: