Friday, August 19, 2011

cute

I mentioned not long ago that a lot of words have different meanings to men and women. I don't have a good way of judging how well this applies to all men and women, but one word that has stuck out to me, especially when I was growing up, is "cute." It is completely possible that I am alone on this, but that word has devalued a lot of compliments in my life. The following example uses my grandmother as an example, and I have chosen to use this since she has passed and so will not read this some day in the future with embarrassment.

I like to share things that I think are funny with others. So, if I come across something I think is genuinely funny I like to share it. More than once when I was at my grandparents' house I read some joke I liked out of a Reader's Digest to my grandmother, to which her response was to say it was cute. It wasn't a huge deal because I knew it was supposed to be a compliment, but that was never the response I wanted.

I think "cute" is a go-to generic compliment for a lot of women because the word implies the sort of thing a lot of women want to be or that they want to own. In my life I've heard a lot of women say things in the vein of, "You look cute in those earrings," or "Those shoes are so cute," or "You have a cute baby," or "You two look cute together." In most contexts; though, the word is feminine. I haven't heard many men use the same sort of compliments, and it sticks out like a sore thumb when a man actually does say something like that.

The real problem is that a compliment is only effective if it makes the recipient feel how he or she wants to feel about himself or herself. Giving a man who would prefer to be masculine feminine compliments or a woman who would prefer to be feminine masculine compliments drains the value from those compliments.

In thinking through this I realized that I do not know which compliments men give that aren't really compliments to women. Is there a reverse version of "cute" that I am not aware of? I should probably learn before I start giving Golden or CD compliments that mean less than I think they do.

3 comments:

roamingwriter said...

my roommate in college used to give guys a hard time when they would say she looked cute. She said puppy dogs and babies are cute. It was the implication of what you´re saying here. It´s a weak compliment but we use it anyway. Other words get over used and lose their sincerity or meaning at times too. It does seem like there´s a male equivalent. Not sure what. Good one dude? Nice? Score?

Tonya said...

FINE. "You look fine" "That is fine" "It's fine".

I hear men use this term as if it is -fine-. It is not fine. It never will be fine.

I believe men use this term more than women, and that men use it specifically as a complement, when women don't-typically.

When I don't want to take the time to think of something else to say or form a real opinion, that is usually when "fine" comes into play. It's not always a negative, more of a neutral statement for me. But I have to really think about the context and focus to not take it negatively when I've asked someone how something looks, or what they think and they say "Fine".

shakedust said...

Thanks for the feedback on that!

I always took "Nice", "Score", etc as shallow compliments, and I can see how they would be even less meaningful to women.

"Fine" is one that I've been trying unsuccessfully to avoid with Golden. I think that word exposes a difference in how men and women think about the things men would say "fine" about. I think most men would use the word thinking that that they're diffusing concern about something not being good enough, whereas a woman would probably hear that as "nothing special."