Friday, February 05, 2010

intelligence

These are just a few random thoughts I have about intelligence. Some is a rehash of what I have already said. That will happen on occasion, though.

For the longest time I thought I was naturally intelligent. I remember the first time my arrogance subsided and I realized that this wasn't the case. The summer I turned fifteen I was at a church youth camp where different cabins competed in a Bible quiz tournament throughout the week. While I was undoubtedly the geekiest in the cabin (most of the other guys were skaters), I was actually the intellectual liability on our team. That was a difficult thing for me to swallow. It only occurred to me later that whatever academic strength I have is not natural intelligence. My one real intellectual strength is that there are some things that I happen to care about more than other people do so I think through them a lot. In those fields where I do not have enough interest to expend much thought I am dumber than the screws holding a doorknob in place.

Another epiphany I had about intelligence was in college. I realized that many of the people who, by participation in class or by GPA or by whatever other outward measure, appeared smart were actually putting on a show, and this was a very large percentage of the "smart" people. While most people who get good grades and participate in class are intelligent, that intelligence has a limit and a lot of people have found ways to keep from inadvertently looking stupid. This does not describe every intellectual person I know, but it is pretty prevalent. It is assisted by the fact that people are more likely to equate shows of confidence with intelligence than they are to equate much anything else with intelligence. Confidently use a lot of words that people think they should know but don't and your reputation is made. Any "average" person can get a brainy reputation without too much real effort.

My latest revelation has been that there really are not many things that are difficult to understand if you have enough time to learn them. Math isn't hard. Mathematical notation is just intimidating and is usually poorly explained. English and grammar aren't hard. They are just mind-numbing for most people to try to study. None of the sciences are all that difficult to understand once you're past all of the vast rote memorization that is required. The field I chose was no different. Computer Science has some key concepts that must be understood, but the notation is what makes the field seem hard.

To sum all of this up, throughout my life I have been struck more by how similar supposedly stupid people and supposedly intelligent people are than by their differences. In many cases they follow the same logic in life. They make the same mistakes. They have the same recreations. In fact, I believe that most differences in apparent intelligence can be traced back to a question of interest or learning style rather than natural intelligence. You will go far in the American education system if you happen to do well sitting at a desk with someone lecturing to you. If you do not do well with lectures and multiple-choice tests, the decision will be made that you are somehow inferior and you will be shut out of a lot of the options in life that require traditional education. I have already been fairly clear on my opinions about education, so I should end my rant here.

I say all of this as someone who has actually benefited from the system in place. I tend to get good grades because I tend to be academically minded, so in that setting I can appear smarter than I am. A system that uses bad methods to determine whether kids are smart, though, should be corrected.

4 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I had a friend who said things aren't "hard", they just take more time (to learn or to get) than other things. I'm probably a person who can come across smart in the classroom but it's questionable at times!

Anonymous said...

There are some things that are truly genius, and they all have to do with creating something that doesn't exist yet.

Nearly all of the learning we do is repeating and understanding what we are taught, but the truly intelligent do what has never been done before.

I do feel like the older I get, the easier it is to understand the breadth of study in the world. Outside of creativity, I see very little that is truly hard to understand.

shakedust said...

I have heard the argument that Picasso was a more important thinker than Einstein because someone else would have eventually figured out the theory of relativity, but no one else would have completed Picasso's works. While there is some merit to that argument, I have to point out that most things that are believed to be creative are largely amalgamations of concepts that already existed, thus the frequent comments that nothing new ever comes out of Hollywood. So, does creativity even truly exist today?

Anonymous said...

Creativity for me is anything at all that is created, especially what does not exist yet. Creative people include Picasso, Einstein, Stephen Colbert's writers, Jimi Hendrix, Asimov, Apple engineers, research and development labs, etc. These people are bringing into existence that which does not exist.

As for Hollywood creativity, I would point to the use of 3D cameras and facial motion capture in Avatar as an example of that. Granted, the typical blockbuster movie does not have very creative writing, but there are uniquely creative elements of many of them that have come out.