Saturday, September 26, 2009

animal maps

Today's post is just a couple of simple geographic observations I made as a kid that I never really heard anyone else make. I lived within a few hundred yards of Lake Superior between the years when I was five and when I was seven and I have always had a strong interest in maps. As a result, I have seen images of the Great Lakes quite frequently throughout my life. As long as I can remember I have seen some sort of cross between a shark with arms and a genii. I have heard people refer to Lake Superior as a wolf head, but it looks more like a genii/shark hybrid head to me.Just like the animal I have seen in the shape of the Great Lakes, I have always seen an elephant in the shape of the lower forty-eight states of the United States. New England is the trunk, Florida is a front leg, Texas is the back leg, and it is in the process of simultaneously sitting down and raising its trunk.So, what do you think? What do you see in these maps? Am I nuts for seeing what I see? Am I deaf for not ever hearing anyone make that observation before? Am I a nerd to get such a kick out of this?

3 comments:

Jason said...

So in talking to you today, I realized it had been awhile since I checked your blog. I used to use Google Reader, but stopped sometime last summer, and that caused me to forget to check some blogs. What I didn't realize was that it had been since September! So here I am, reading through them.

For this post, I never really looked too closely at the Great Lakes, though I never really lived near them. I've never heard of the elephant thing before, but I can totally see it. I've always been excited about the "chef states", which I think we talked about during our draw-the-states-given-only-an-outline-of-the-US game a year or two ago.

Jason said...

Oh, and what's a genii? Like genie? Or is genii technically correct or something? I'm almost motivated to look this up, but so far not quite.

shakedust said...

"Genii" is a valid but very uncommon spelling for "genie." I think I chose that spelling because that was the spelling chosen in the book Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, and that has always stuck with me.