Monday, June 08, 2009

self-diagnosis

I have mentioned on several occasions that I am OCD. Golden and I even joke that together we complete most of the OCD symptoms. It turns out that neither of these is completely true. While I have some mild quirks, such as preferring things in fours and preferring to not step on cracks in the sidewalk, those quirks do not come anywhere near causing me the disability that true OCD would cause. My mild tendencies do not really mess with my actual life on any level deeper than determining the number of chips I will pull out of a bag.

I think that I am like a lot of people, or at least a lot of Americans, in that I figure that everything that seems different from the norm about me must be a condition of some sort. I sometimes misread things so I have questioned whether I have dyslexia. I cannot go to sleep many nights, so that must be some sort of medically-caused insomnia. At one point I figured I had a good chance of having COPD because I was easily winded.

The truth of the matter is that I would guess that most people have little quirks that, if they analyzed them, would appear to point to some medical condition. I just happen to be the type of person to analyze my quirks. I wonder what condition could cause me to be that type of person?

No comments: