Friday, August 17, 2007

the hollow man

I've talked about my hair cut and visiting the dentist already in the last month, but a follow-up visit to the dentist today reminded me of something I experienced in both places that I haven't posted about yet.

Today, while I was getting some fillings put in the dentist and his assistant were talking shop. They had about a fifteen minute conversation where they decided to change the office schedule on Tuesdays to come in an hour early. Likewise, when I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago all the workers in the shop spent their time gossiping about people they know and discussing details about how the business is doing.

Maybe I am no different from anyone else, but I often feel like when I am in a place of business I am pretty easy to ignore. It is easy for people to have generic conversations about the business like I am not even there. I am not complaining. I don't always want to fight to come up with small talk and this relieves me of that duty. It does make me wonder if I need to work on having a more imposing presence, though. I don't want to completely drop off the map.

3 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I have felt the same way. Maybe if I had provided some interesting conversation...but on the other hand.. you can't have a conversation when the dentist is in your mouth...or your head is down so the hair dresser can cut your hair straight.

T said...

They always want to talk to me, when I have nothing to say. I think I'd rather hear how Janie is doing after the baby was born! :)

roamingwriter said...

I'm learning because of my inability to communicate well in another language that it is okay not to keep trying to make conversation which I would normally do in English. I'm realizing it's just not always needed.