Saturday, August 25, 2007

fake

Last night Golden and I watched John Tucker Must Die. While I did have a tiny bit of doubt about the flick, the movie was actually as good as I expected. It is very similar to Mean Girls with the exception that the villain is a player rather than a queen bee. To be honest, I was the one who wanted to see it. This may surprise some people, but I expected this to be more of a thinker than I think most other people expected it to be. Since both Golden and I liked the movie I was not totally off base.

Both movies have one major theme that I greatly appreciate. The main character in each film enters school as a nobody and is eventually catapulted into popularity through some evil scheme to destroy someone else. In the end of both flicks the main character learns that popularity is empty if it is attained through being fake, and that it is easy to become the person that you originally hated.

I think that most people agree that being yourself is a good thing and being fake is a bad thing, but I wonder if people only think that at the extremes. Is letting fashion dictate what you wear so that you don't stick out like a sore thumb being fake? Is rooting for the home team to fit in not being yourself? Is fixing up your house or car to impress others wrong? Is changing some of your interests to match those of your social group wrong? Are the rules different if these things are done by an adult, an adolescent, or a child?

I am deeply concerned about when NJ and any siblings he may have in the future (no, Golden is not pregnant) are old enough to crave acceptance from peers. It is inevitable. God made people that way. How much leeway should I provide in letting my children express themselves, though, when they are really just expressing what is popular in their social context? I wish I knew.

So, even though it appears on the surface that I just watched another dumb teen movie, I think there is a lot to learn from what I saw. For one, I learned that John Tucker doesn't have to die just yet. He is only able to do wrong because his victims allow him through their own selfishness.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

The movie reminded me that I should always be true to what I am and what made Dust fall in love with me in the first place. : )

T said...

I too liked that movie. We found ourselves out with a couple who are fanatical about Nascar and Football last week. Once they found out that we were not huge Nascar fans they put dash on the spot with football "You DO like football, don't you?" It seemed more of a challenge then a fun question. Almost as if we didn't pass a test if we weren't like them. We acknowleded that we like the Chiefs and tried to be polite. I am not sure that they will end up people that we "hang out" with as time goes on.

Achtung BB said...

We have a lot of free thinking people in Portland that embrace individuality. By this I mean they dress as transexual or hippies.

f o r r e s t said...

What's this movie? Was it in theaters?

You are facinated with this fitting in thing and being fake or real. Interesting. It is a topic that I have never given much thought. I guess I don't care about fitting in. it is easy to judge if someone is being fake, but we don't know the heart and motivation.

Some people make choices in things you might consider fake that are not to fit in or impress, but because they believe in it, enjoy it, or think it's fun.

shakedust said...

If you observe people for a while you realize that a very large percentage of what a lot of people do is with the intention to fit in with some group. I think everyone has the need to feel accepted in some group, but some people have been able to minimize the need or have not ever been excluded, so they may not recognize the need. My observation says that those types of people are in the minority.

Since I see fitting in as a huge influence on the way a lot of people act, and I think it is generally negative, this is a topic to which I give a lot of thought.

Generally speaking (sure, there may be exceptions), I believe that most people are either constantly seeking love and/or respect in their daily lives. A big part of how people try to attain that is through social acceptance. Almost every decision they make is going to be influenced by how they feel they can get what they feel they need.

shakedust said...

Something I missed.

"they believe in it, enjoy it, or think it's fun"

If this is the case, then it is not fake, unless they believe in it or enjoy it mostly because someone else made them feel that way.

roamingwriter said...

I've often thought the punks or the goths are doing exactly the same thing the "cool" or popular crowd is doing. They are dressing a certain way to be accepted by certain people, sometimes with a goal of standing out or putting someone off like a parent or authority, but isn't it really the exact same thing as the cheerleader striving for popularity.