Monday, August 06, 2007

anticipation

Online order tracking has to be one of the greatest blessings and greatest curses bestowed upon mankind in the last ten to fifteen years. There is little more exciting than following a much anticipated shipment as it leaves the warehouse makes its journey to my home or office. It can be near impossible to remove my focus from the shipment if it is something I am looking forward to.

Last week I probably visited the FedEx site twenty times a day to see if there was any change in my iPod Nano shipment. It made little difference that I knew in my head that there shouldn't be an update yet, I still had to check... again. Without the online functionality I could more easily force myself to forget about the shipment.

Even if the online functionality is bad for my obsessiveness, it did help me in at least two instances in the past. First, when I was originally building my computer and I did not receive an important hardware shipment we were able to narrow down that my electronics were getting lost at a stop-off point in northern Missouri. Second, I was able to closely track our Handi Cam purchase last year that was delivered about fourteen hours before NJ was born.

Even though the functionality is good when used properly, I should probably resolve to not look for where shipments are at any given point. The anticipation just is not worth it.

7 comments:

T said...

I too get caught up in tracking things when it's available too. It's fun in a weird way. It's in Ohio, it arrived there at 2:24 am. It departed Ohio at 5:31am. It was in KS at 4:22pm and should arrive tomorrow before 6pm tomorrow. In other words...it's still on schedule to arrive on time! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

A tool to encourage your OCD. When inquiring minds want to know..

Achtung BB said...

Maybe you sercetly want control of everything. Or maybe Golden is right and it is OCD

f o r r e s t said...

The anticipation is definitely worth it for the iPod.

Portland wawa said...

Sounds a little like you don't have enough to do so you check the internet alot. That's ok. Or are you really busy at work and still checking all of the time? That's a big difference.

roamingwriter said...

I guess I don't have that problem. Sometimes I never go check those shipping things.

shakedust said...

It was a situation where I would be doing something for a half hour to an hour-and-a-half, then I'd check the shipment. I would do that at regular intervals.