Monday, August 27, 2007

doubt

"Faith isn't about feeling. It's about will."- Jim Towey (Mother Teresa's former legal counsel)
I am not, nor have I ever been, a Catholic. Even so, I have always had a great respect for Mother Teresa. I have heard reports that she was not always perfect, but no one is. Simply put, the sacrifice that she endured for the greater good speaks of a nobility that I cannot imagine attaining through my will alone.

In the last few days, word has gotten out about a book that details the doubts that Mother Teresa experienced about her faith. I honestly do not know how most people would react to her saying, "No faith—no love—no zeal—[The saving of] souls holds no attraction—Heaven means nothing." It is possible that a lot of people will see this with disillusionment or as evidence that faith in Christ is not real or it is misplaced. I see this as evidence for her true faith because she was willing to grapple with the doubt she had.

I am actually surprised at how much a lot of people want to make it look like they have it all together. In a church setting is is okay to say that you have had doubts in the past about your faith, but to say that you currently have doubts is somehow taboo. I personally cannot fathom true faith without the presence of some doubt. I am not necessarily even talking about doubts of God's existence, but perhaps just doubts about what He is doing in your life.

I actually think that being willing to doubt in certain situations allows people to work through issues that can derail faith later in life. Just because you convince yourself that you don't doubt God does not mean the doubt is not there. I think it is better to be honest about the concerns you have to work through them before they grow into something that really does threaten your faith. Of that I have very little doubt.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I am relieved that someone like Mother Teresa could have doubts. When I have doubts about my faith it is really easy to feel like I am somehow not worthy or if I was stronger I would not doubt. To see someone that strong have doubts make me feel more secure in my faith.

Portland wawa said...

I think you are right. Even the Apostle Paul had doubts. When we are honest and expose our doubts and fears, God can then work in our lives to change us. But if we are in denial, we stay stagnant. I think a healthy prayer life helps to admit your faults in your spiritual life.

f o r r e s t said...

I heard that story. What annoyed me was that the commentators were using words like "the dark side to mother teresa" like they were exposing something that would derail everyones view of her. To me, I thought it made her normal.

I am like you. I am more impressed by her and I think it shows that she had real faith because of her doubts.

I'm annoyed at schlock journalism.

GoldenSunrise said...

I hope the book about Mother Teresa does more good than harm.

RDW said...

Dust, I think it's great that this post is preceded by the one entitled "fake". They go so well together, and suggest that your brain is running along an authenticity motif.

One of the sickest things, to me, about the Church is what you have just mentioned. If we cannot join our brothers and sisters in Christ, coming as our fractured selves, opening up about our doubts and foibles, then we are coming as someone else, literally as someone who does not exist. And what benefit is there at all, apart from the word of actors and drama, in interacting with one another as people who are not us?

I've heard that when Jesus used the word "hypocrites" he was the first to use it that way, and that at the time it was simply a Greek word that meant "actors". Drama is all well and good in its place, even in church sometimes. But when we are in fellowship--when we come together to BE the Church, then to discourage anyone from expressing their true feelings or thoughts is nothing less than hypocrisy.

Achtung BB said...

I'd agree with everyone. The fact she struggled with doubt but worked through it is a good example for us all. If someone on the road to Sainthood can occasionally struggle, can't we all admit an occasional doubt.

roamingwriter said...

Yes, doubts are real. I'm actually surprised to be my age and still have them - I guess I figured you'd have it all figured out eventually. I agree it makes MT more real. I didn't hear the conversation but was shocked when Dar said a missionary we are with here was like, oh she didn't even know God. Quite judgmental from someone who is losing the high respect I held for them for a variety of reasons. Yet I don't doubt his capability or wisdom as a theologian.