Monday, March 03, 2008

in like a lion

Since I moved to Kansas I have heard several people relay to me that if I don't like the weather here I should just wait and it will change. Most of the places I have lived have been this way, but people issue the statement here more than anywhere else I have been.

Another saying that I have heard quite a bit is that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. I haven't really known that to be true, but I remember it when February turns to March every year. Do people in Hawaii have a saying too? "March comes in like July and goes out like July," maybe?

Most people who know me know one of the things I dislike about Kansas is that it gets cold weather. There are colder places to live, for certain, but we get our fair share of winter weather. Not only that, but the winter weather arrives almost without warning.

Yesterday while it was windy and in the seventies I started wondering when the warm weather would end. I was hoping that we would have some warm weather for a few more days. So, I went to Weather.com and typed in my zip code. The following is what came up.I said that I couldn't wait for March earlier. I am starting to think that it might be good to hold out for April.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

It was hard to keep up with Kansas's ever changing weather patterns. The only time it didn't drastically change was in July (when I most wanted it to). I'm not complaining about the weather here in Portland. We have had a few showers a couple times a week and we are pretty consistant in the 50's.

GoldenSunrise said...

At Evangel, everyone complained about the changing weather in Springfield. I remember girls changing their outfits about three times during the day: sweaters, shorts, and then jeans.

At least in Kansas, it is the same weather all day long pretty much.

Portland wawa said...

So, did March come in like a lion, then it turned nice on March 2nd in the 70's, then snowy again on March 3rd? That's crazy weather. I did hate that about Kansas, the constant weather changes. Here in Portland, like BB said, it's always consistent.

f o r r e s t said...

Just wait. It'll all settle down pretty soon. Usually our winters are pretty mild, but this winter was somewhat colder with lots of snow. The snow part is good.

Last summer was not that hot. I wonder if we will have another mild summer.